Estimated reading time 3 minutes, 48 seconds.
Following the FAA’s Safety Summit last week the agency issued a safety alert with specific steps it wants airlines, pilots and others to take.
The FAA is urging the following actions:
- Ensure pilots and flight attendants have the same understanding of what “sterile flight deck” means and the risks associated with extraneous communication during this time.
- Emphasize importance of awareness of the aircraft in relation to taxiways, runways and other aircraft. This includes reviewing the following previously published SAFOs:
- Encourage personnel to identify and report existing and emerging safety issues through voluntary reporting programs and understand the usefulness of voluntary reporting systems for the operation in which you are engaged.
- Reinforce adherence to published processes and procedures, including checklists, Air Traffic Control instructions, and internal company procedures.
- Ensure Safety Management Systems are accounting for the high rate of change and churn in industry.
View the Safety Alert for Operators for the full list of actions the FAA recommends.
This press release was prepared and distributed by the FAA