Estimated reading time 5 minutes, 3 seconds.
Hope Air has announced an exciting new Give Hope Wings expedition that will bridge the gap between home and hospital for hundreds of patients. The Give Hope Wings – Northwest Expedition will complete 37 flights from June 15 to July 5, 2019, covering a distance of 12,000 km.
This high-profile flight of small aircraft is aiming to raise $250,000 for Hope Air that will provide 1,000 free medical flights for low income patients. The expedition will fly across British Columbia, the Yukon, the Northwest Territories and around Alaska on this unique aviation experience. It will offer some incredible experiences, including flying over Nahanni National Park – a majestic location not accessible by any public roads – taking a close look at peculiar ice hills called Pingos in the Northwest Territories, and flying close to the Russian border in the Bering Strait.
The full itinerary and more detail on the expedition are available at givehopewings.ca.
An anonymous donor has generously agreed to donate $50,000 to Hope Air in honour of two female pilots (or pilots in training) to join the expedition. Each will be awarded the opportunity to fly on one of the three stages of the expedition:
- Pitt Meadows to Fairbanks – June 15 to 20 (6 to 7 days)
- Fairbanks to Anchorage – June 22 to 27 (6 to 7 days)
- Anchorage to Pitt Meadows – June 30 to July 5 (6 to 7 days)
The donated funds will provide free flights for low income patients who must get to health care far from home to access specialized medical care.
The chosen candidates will be Canadian women with a demonstrated commitment to aviation. Preference will be given to those who reside in B.C. or the Yukon, who have begun their aviation training, and who demonstrate a desire to help others. Preference will also be given to those with a willingness to speak publicly in the community and share the story of their journey on social media, including how it will benefit patients in need of medical care through Hope Air. The successful candidate will also be encouraged to raise funds through their own online fundraising page for Hope Air. No minimum amount will be required, and successful candidates must cover their own personal travel expenses.
An application must be completed through this online form and all recommendations and transcripts are to be uploaded through the online form or directed to the attention of Alanna Scott at firstname.lastname@example.org by April 1, 2019.
· Letters of recommendation from personal contacts, supporting the application are encouraged.
· Record of flying training and experience to date including reference(s) from flight training institution(s).
· A video submission of the candidate describing why she is interested is also encouraged.
Any questions can be directed to Alanna Scott at email@example.com.
Selection of the candidates will be judged based on receipt of the following:
· Summary of scholastic and personal achievements and qualifications of the nominee.
· Statement of interest describing the goals and motivations in joining the Give Hope Wings Northwest Expedition.
· Summary of candidate’s flying experience and how she got started.
· Description of candidate’s personal ambitions and goals.
· References as appropriate.
A panel of three individuals selected by Hope Air will review the candidates and narrow the selection down to no more than five possible candidates. Final selection will be made by the anonymous donor. The decision will be announced on April 15, 2019.
Eligibility of the chosen candidate:
Pilots must be available on the dates of all legs, until their individual leg is confirmed. The pilots must cover their own personal travel expenses to and from the beginning and end of their Give Hope Wings journey, plus their accommodations, food and entertainment while travelling. (Personal costs estimated at $200 per day x 7 days = $1,400)
All pilots are required to provide proof of international travel health insurance.