Estimated reading time 3 minutes, 19 seconds.
Capt Kevin Hagen will arrive home in Victoria, B.C., on Saturday, June 27.
As previously announced, six Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) members died in the CH-148 Cyclone helicopter crash into the Ionian Sea on April 29, 2020. The homecoming for SLt Abbigail Cowbrough took place on May 11 and the homecoming for Capt Brenden MacDonald, Capt Maxime Miron-Morin, SLt Matthew Pyke, and MCpl Matthew Cousins was held on June 25, in Halifax, N.S.
The Hagen family will be joined by military and civilian dignitaries in a police-escorted motorcade from the Victoria International Airport to the McCall Gardens Funeral Home in Victoria.
The departure time is planned for 1:30 p.m. PDT and the detailed route is outlined below. Please note, Willingdon Road will be closed between 1:15-2 p.m. Also, there might be delays or changes to the route due to circumstances beyond the CAF’s control.
The CAF appreciates the outstanding support of our communities for the families of our fallen and the Canadian Armed Forces. For those who wish to recognize Hagen’s return home, CAF asks that you join it in adhering to COVID-19 restrictions and practice physical distancing while paying respects, in addition to observing traffic rules. While the CAF understands and recognizes Canadians’ grief and the need to mourn at this difficult time, it asks it is done so in a way that protects the health and safety of everyone.
As the families are grieving as a result of their tragic losses, the CAF requests that the public and the media respect their privacy.
Planned motorcade route:
- Depart 443 (Maritime Helicopter) Squadron, 9755 Willingdon Rd, to W Saanich Rd
- Turn right onto W Saanich Rd/BC-17A N to Mills Rd
- Turn right onto Mills Rd to MacDonald Park Rd
- Turn right onto McDonald Park Rd which will turn into Beacon Ave W
- Turn right onto BC-17 (signs for Victoria) at the intersection of Beacon Ave and BC-17 S
- Drive straight through the intersection of Pat Bay Hwy (BC-17 S) & Mt Newton Cross Rd
- Drive straight through the intersection of Pat Bay Hwy (BC-17 S) & Island View Rd
- Drive straight through the intersection of Pat Bay Hwy (BC-17 S) & Sayward Rd
- Take exit 11 for Royal Oak Dr
- Turn left onto Royal Oak Dr/BC-17A S at the intersection of BC-17A S and Royal Oak Dr
- Turn left onto Falaise Dr at the intersection of Royal Oak Dr and Falaise Dr
- Turn left onto Falaise Dr at the intersection of Falaise Dr and Falaise Cres
- Arrive at McCall Gardens Funeral and Cremation Service, 4665 Falaise Dr