Estimated reading time 1 minute, 49 seconds.
SHARPEN YOUR IFR SKILLS
Test your instrument flight rules (IFR) proficiency and sharpen your piloting skills with this exclusive Skies feature! Examine the following approach plate and take your best shot at the accompanying questions:
Sault Ste. Marie, Ont. (CYAM)
ILS RWY 12 APPROACH
Instrument IQ test
- Does CYAM Tower operate on a 24-7 basis? If not, which publication would indicate their operating hours?
- The 100 nautical mile SAFE ALTITUDE provides for _____ obstacle clearance in this section of Canada.
- You are doing a full procedure approach with a surface temperature of -30C. The amended procedure turn altitude should be: __________.
- Is a straight-in approach authorized within this procedure? If so, what symbology on the chart approves this?
- If doing the LOC/DME approach, what is the minimum allowable step-down altitude between DURLU and NUKAV?
- What should be your course of action in the event of a missed approach and arrival over the clearance limit?
For answers, click here.
John Montgomery is the founder and president of Professional Flight Centre in Delta, B.C., which was established in 1986. A 12,000-hour ATPL pilot and Multi IFR instructor, John also specializes in ground school and seminar instruction. John can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.